Connect with us

Moratorium on Covid-19 related evictions extended until June 30

Contra Costa County

Moratorium on Covid-19 related evictions extended until June 30

California has extended its ban on evictions of coronavirus-related income loss until 30 June, governor Gavin Newsom and state legislators reported on Monday.

The ban, which was scheduled to expire on January 31,  prohibits property owners from expelling renters if they are unable to afford their full monthly rent due to a pandemic-induced loss of revenue.

In order to benefit from the moratorium, tenants are required to pay at least 25% of their monthly rent and also have to provide evidence of financial hardship in 15 days in order to remain protected from eviction.

California is also working to utilize the $2.6 billion in aid for renters it received from the new federal stimulus bill.

The state will use federal funds to pay up to 80% of low-income residents’ outstanding back rent to landlords while the remaining 20% will be forgiven.

This support would be targeted at tenants who make less than 50 percent of the area’s median income for their local jurisdiction, with the opportunity to maximize relief to tenants paying less than 80 per cent of their AMI.

More in Contra Costa County

To Top